Popular Posts

Sunday 8 March 2015

Another New Coffee Pot

There are coffee pots - avoid them -  which manage to make all coffees taste disappointingly the same. But our latest household pot is not a failure in that or any other respect.  What I brew in it - be it my favourite organic Ethiopian,  Waitrose’s Peruvian decaff, or Taylor of Harrogate’s mellow Lazy Sunday -  tastes quite distinctively how we expect it to taste.

This glass coffee maker with its heat-retaining zip covering comes with a funnel-filter of fine mesh and stainless steel, and a neatly foolproof pourer which fits snugly into the neck. The pot comes in two sizes - ours holds a bit less than a litre but is fine for a single cup - and making coffee in it is simplicity itself. It is also easy and quick to clean.

It is a Danish device named Eva Solo, an utterly non-gimmicky, non-mechanical, non-steam-belching  invention, not cheap, but which can also be used, if you so wish, as a small wine decanter. That, in the first place, was why I bought it and how I used it, until I received a superb big Le Creuset decanter as a present from my son, at which point I started employing Eva Solo correctly as a coffee maker - clearly its primary purpose.  As such it seems peerless, or will be until I find something even better.

It comes in two sizes, and you can buy it from Amazon.  It looks good and is nice to hold, infinitely more so than a fiddly traditional cafetiere or even the Aeropress (slower and messier in comparison. and  with a vacuum plunger that grows increasingly hard to press down) which I recommended not so long ago. The Eva Solo is a delight to use. Since we can get through several types of coffee in a single week, this is just the coffee maker we have been waiting for and I do not know why I did not start using it sooner.
8 March 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. I would be very pleased to hear your thoughts and comments.