Popular Posts

Saturday 25 October 2014

Jolly omelettes

Time again for an omelette. A desire to make better domestic ones - my wife’s have already reached a state of perfection - has prompted me to look online at what kinds of pan are  currently available. 

At present I use a smallish Jamie Oliver nonstick pan which cost me £18 - a pretty standard price - and is certainly nice to hold. Its drawback, though I suspect most pans have drawbacks, is that it is prone to tilt when you place it on the cooker and thereby spill its contents everywhere, unless you are quick enough to grab it before it does so. 

Our other omelette pans (we possess a few standard models) are less accident prone, which makes me suspect that the fault with the Oliver one is not necessarily mine. Because I like using it I put up with its its quirks, but know that the day is coming when I buy another. 

That’s  what you do with omelette pans unless you are completely satisfied, as Elizabeth David was,  with what you have. Since my wife can make good omelettes in all the pans we have, maybe I am just being fussy and cackhanded. 

Glancing at Amazon’s unending pictorial list, I notice that the dearest comes from Le Creuset and is a heavy duty model costing £68 with a nice blue exterior. No doubt it makes superb omelettes if it does not fall on your foot, but I don’t think I can afford it at the moment, nor do I specially want it.

There are also various gadgety pans, one of which transforms itself into a poached egg pan - nice if it works - but a temptation I think I can resist. There is an oblong Japanese pan with a lid, which perhaps folds your omelettes for you, though I would have my suspicions about the result.

Perhaps just another simple Tefal is the answer, and surely preferable to a microwave omelette pan - or am I being fussy again? - costing £4.99, “only fourteen left in stock.”   I’ll let you know.
25 October 2014 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. I would be very pleased to hear your thoughts and comments.